General Mattis Warns North Korea: Stop or Face 'Destruction of Its People'

General Mattis Warns North Korea: Stop or Face 'Destruction of Its People'

"The DPRK regime's actions will continue to be grossly overmatched by ours and would lose any arms race or conflict it initiates", he said.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said that Trump's warning was "a strong message to North Korea in language that Kim Jong-un would understand, because he doesn't seem to understand diplomatic language".

The Pentagon chief on Wednesday issued a carefully worded statement telling North Korea it would be "grossly" outmatched in any conflict with the United States, and warning Pyongyang to stop considering any action that risked "the destruction of its people".

Mattis said the North Korean leader "should take heed of the United Nations Security Council's unified voice, and statements from governments the world over, who agree the DPRK poses a threat to global security and stability".

In July, North Korea successfully tested two intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), which could potentially have the range to hit several cities on the USA mainland.

He added that USA and allied militaries now have "the most precise, rehearsed and robust defensive and offensive capabilities on Earth".

His comments punctuate President Donald Trump's warning that North Korea will be met with "fire and fury" if it threatens the U.S.A new report says Pyongyang's nuclear program is progressing.

Mattis' tone was at odds with that of Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who earlier said he did not believe "there is any imminent threat" to Guam or other USA targets and hoped that diplomatic pressure would prevail in the crisis.

Earlier this week, Gen. Kim Rak-Gyom, who heads North Korea's rocket command, said in a statement carried by state media that Pyongyang was "about to take" military action near the USA territory of Guam.

"We always maintain a high state of readiness and have the capabilities to counter any threat, to include those from North Korea", Lt. Col. Christopher Logan, a Pentagon spokesman, told CBN News.

The UN Security Council on August 5 voted unanimously to impose new sanctions on North Korea.

On Tuesday, Pyongyang said it was developing contingency plans for an attack on Guam, a USA territory in the Pacific with a substantial military presence.

Related:

Comments


Other news