Can Drinking Moscow Mules From Copper Mugs Cause Food Poisoning?

Moscow Mule Copper Mug May Cause Food Poisoning

Health officials of the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division examined what happens when copper mixes with food.

- Public health officials are warning that the copper mugs used to serve the popular Moscow mule cocktail could be poisoning you.

The simple cocktail requires only vodka, lime juice and ginger beer along with garnish which can either be a lime slice or mint leaves. That includes vinegar, wine, and Moscow Mules.

"High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused food borne illness", the bulletin said.

The acid that results from mixing water and carbon dioxide leaches copper from the plumbing components and the leachate is then transferred to beverages, causing copper poisoning. "When copper and copper allow surfaces contact acidic foods, copper may be leached into the food".

Food experts have long known not to use copper, or copper-related pots and pans for cooking acidic recipes such as tomato sauce.

Bars around Iowa are doing away with those shiny signature Moscow Mule mugs thanks to a recently adopted law.

This means that copper mugs that have a copper interior may not be used with this beverage.

Not all copper mugs, however, are poisonous. Copper mugs lined with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel, however, are fine to use.

Over time, copper exposure can damage liver and kidneys.

Though most restaurateurs know not to use copper when preparing food, being barred from using it for drinks is a newer discovery.

Related:

Comments


Other news