Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho

Jose Mourinho believes Manchester United are equipped to maintain his remarkable second season success rate by winning the Premier League title this term.

The United boss admitted he still remains hopeful of signing a wide player, with Mourinho having already conceded it is "game over" for their chances of signing Real Madrid's Gareth Bale.

"The Premier League is what you all know", he said. "I have to try to win every match".

"I am happy that the club managed to do 75 per cent of the work before the Premier League starts and, if until Aug 31 the remaining 25 per cent don't arrive, I will not moan". Every opponent wants to win every match, every opponent gives you a hard time. Our fans really get behind us and they're going to step it up even more because they know we need them even more.

Brighton have broken their club transfer record twice in one week to draft in Davy Propper from PSV Eindhoven and Club Brugge's Jose Izquierdo, subject to medical and global clearance.

While they failed to capture silverware, the Citizens did produce a strong finish to the season to ensure their place in the Champions League, finishing third.

Mourinho admits it was a challenge to keep his players fired up to compete for Europe's secondary competition but he does not expect any problems this year. That won't matter too much, as they now have Premier League football to enjoy.

Pep Guardiola promised Manchester City would rein in its unprecedented levels of spending after overseeing an outlay of approaching $500 million in his first year in charge.

The Belgium centre-back rejected a loan move to Girona last month and has spent some training sessions working apart from the main group with Samir Nasri and Wilfried Bony.

"I saw last season how tough the league is - it doesn't matter who the top teams are".

"We had one of the oldest teams in the Premier League so we made a decision to put energy in the team for the next five, six years", he said.

Former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach Guardiola claimed it was necessary to reinvigorate City's ageing squad but he will only seek to add one or two new faces in forthcoming seasons.

"What I had in other clubs was more players scoring goals, what we had was midfielders, wingers scoring, central defenders scoring goals at set pieces", Mourinho said.

Related:

Comments


Other news