Barcelona terrorist attack: Whereabouts unclear for missing Australian boy

The van that plowed into the crowd killing at least 13 people and injuring around 100 more

The Sydney boy became separated from his mother, Jom, who was seriously injured and remains in hospital.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson tweeted: "I send my sincerest sympathies to the family of Julian Cadman and all those who loved him".

A photo of Julian Cadman taken in Barcelona prior to the terror attack.

In a statement, the family paid tribute to the "energetic, amusing and cheeky" boy and thanked everyone who helped them search for Julian after they appealed for help in finding him. "We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts", the family said.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out again tonight to the Cadman family".

She confirmed his death in the early hours of Friday, stating he had been hit by the van and had died on the spot.

Julian's father and grandmother travelled to Spain from Australia following the attack, and his grandfather Tony Cadman had urged people to share a photograph of Julian on Facebook as fears for his safety grew.

The family of the seven-year-old boy who has been missing since the Barcelona terrorist attack has confirmed he has died. His family has our deepest sympathies at this very hard time. "We have deployed additional staff to Barcelona and have offered support to the Spanish authorities", she said.

Following Thursday's atrocity, it had been unclear what had happened to British-born Julian, who lived in Sydney.

Spanish newspaper El Pais had reported that Julian Cadman had been found in hospital, but Los Mossos d'Esquadra - the province's police force - said no child had been located, nor were they missing.

Victims of the attack in Barcelona have been identified as British/Australian, Italian, Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, Spanish/Argentine, Canadian and American.

At least 13 people were killed and more than 100 were injured as the driver ploughed into people along a 500 metre stretch of the pedestrianised area.

Police in Spain have linked three rental vans to the main fugitive from an Islamic extremist cell that carried out deadly vehicle attacks in Barcelona and a nearby seaside resort.

In the second attack, a gang wearing suicide belts rammed civilians with a auto before being shot dead by police.

Related:

Comments


Other news