Turkish government blocked full probe into attempted coup, says opposition party

OIC backs Turkey on 1st coup anniversary

The Turkish ambassador in South Africa has informed Pretoria about Turkish nationals who it says are fund-raising in this country for the Gülenist movement which Ankara blames for a coup attempt a year ago today. "I spoke to the prime minister and ... when they appear in court, let's make them appear in uniform suits like in Guantanamo".

Also just after midnight salah prayers from victims of the coup bid rang out from minarets of 90,000 mosques across Turkey, state media said. He said that this was the only way to counter such enemies of democracy.

Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan addressed tens of thousands of people at memorial events in Istanbul and Ankara at the weekend.

Turkey declared a state of emergency on July 20, 2016, days after a failed military coup, which Ankara blames on the US -based exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Bulent Tezcan, the spokesman of the Republican People's Party (CHP), said the government was using the commemorations for the anniversary of the failed July 15, 2016, coup to "write a fabricated history".

Since emergency rule was imposed on July 20 previous year, five days after the attempted coup, more than 50,000 people have been arrested and 150,000 sacked or suspended from their jobs. Another 7,000 police, civil servants and academics were dismissed last week according to a decree published on Friday.

It stated: "The crackdown also targets opponents of the government, including Kurdish activists, human rights groups and journalists".

The European governments have bashed Erdogan for the sweeping post-coup purges and have warned that a return of the death penalty would mean an end to Turkey's aspirations to join the European Union.

The Committee to Protect Journalists says almost 160 journalists have been arrested over the past year, making Turkey the largest jailer of journalists in the world.

Related:

Comments


Other news