Parents of terminally-ill baby in court for ruling on treatment

Via Instagram user charliesfight

Courts have previously denied Connie Yates and Chris Gard the right to to send their 11-month-old son Charlie Gard to the USA on the grounds it would prolong his suffering without any realistic prospect of it helping.

Grant Armstrong, leading Charlie's parents' legal team, indicated that the couple thought they had new evidence.

Specialists at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, where Charlie is being cared for, say therapy proposed by a doctor in America is experimental and will not help.

"We say that's a contention, where the evidence does not properly support that contention".

Charlie Gard has a rare genetic condition.

His parents have raised more than $2 million in online donations for their son and want to try an experimental treatment, which is being offered by doctors in the United States and at the Vatican.

A United States doctor has also proposed treatment for Gard.

Mr Justice Francis, who previously backed Great Ormond Street to end his life support, told the court today: "If there is important new evidence which suggests my judgement should be changed - then I will change it".

At 10:30a.m. Thursday in London (5:30a.m.in New York) the Royal Court of Justice will consider new evidence in the Charlie Gard case determining whether he will be permitted to receive an experimental treatment being offered by USA physicians.

But doctors said it was "right to explore" any new evidence and that they were seeking the court's view.

However, Mr Armstrong said today he believed the treatment had been misjudged and rejected the suggestion that Charlie was being "experimented on".

The parents said in the statement: "We are continuing to spend every moment working around the clock to save our dear baby Charlie". "We've been requesting this specialized treatment since November, and never asked the hospital, courts or anyone for anything - except for the permission to go".

Related:

Comments


Other news