Seattle Police Fatally Shoot Pregnant Woman Armed With Knife

Police have not confirmed the identity of the victim or provided any details.

Apparently, authorities had previously encountered Lyles and felt that her phone call flagged "hazard information" related to her apartment that "presented an increased risk to officers", according to Detective Mark Jamieson. "Yeah", the other officer responds.

Seattle police officers fatally shot a 30-year-old pregnant woman Sunday in her home while three of her children were in the house. "Both officers had to fire their service weapons striking the individual unfortunately it is a fatality". "Get back!" before they begin firing.

The children inside at the time were unharmed.

A day after the shooting of a 30-year-old pregnant mother of four by Seattle Police, neighbors tell Q13 News they are distraught.

The officers who shot her are on paid leave, as is in standard procedure.

The Seattle Times reports Charleena's family says she had been struggling with mental health issues.

Officers were initially called to investigate a reported burglary at Brettler Family Place, which is a residential complex for people transitioning out of homelessness.

The department posted a statement on its website with its official recounting of the shooting.

The video from the apartment hallway has no audio, but shows the officers entering the apartment.

She said Williams had mental health problems and was small in stature and no threat.

Approximately 100 people held a vigil Sunday night in Lyles' honor. Our heart goes out to Lyles' family, especially her motherless children.

Lyles' two sons and daughter were inside the home when police fired off rounds at their mother.

Lhora Murray, 42, lives in the apartment directly below Lyles and told the Stranger she often heard yelling from the woman's unit and called security multiple times. The audio indicates the officers told Ms Lyles to "get back" prior to shooting her.

Lyles death comes just days after the officer involved in the shooting death of Philando Castile, a black man in Minnesota who was killed during a traffic stop almost a year ago, was acquitted of murder charges.

"There's no reason for her to be shot in front of her babies", Williams said.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray called the shooting a "tragedy for all involved" and vowed transparency throughout the probe.

As police continue to investigate, Lyles's family and friends are devastated by her loss. But what the police are not stating is the fact that the Seattle Police Department is under a federal consent decree because of its questionable use of excessive force.

In a report in April, the court-appointed monitor found that the reforms had prompted a stunning drop in how often officers use serious force - with no rise in crime or officer injuries.



Other news