Orrell Water Park death: Ellen Higginbottom identified as victim

Murder probe launched as teenager found dead after ‘brutal attack

"We have a full investigative team working on this and a large scene is in place in the area around the Orrell Water Park area".

A second man has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the discovery of a young woman's body in a park in Wigan. It was later uncovered that her death resulted from an attack that left Higginbottom with multiple wounds to the neck.

Her family raised the alarm on Friday evening after she failed to return from college.

Ellen's boyfriend Ryan Warren, 18, was among those who went out looking for her, spending hours speaking to drivers at Wigan bus station.

Greater Manchester Police says the suspect was detained on Sunday afternoon in nearby Billinge, and is now in custody for questioning.

Her friend Katie Hatton wrote on Facebook: "Absolutely heartbreaking that this horror had to happen to such a lovely and caring young girl, always smiling and making me laugh in psychology. R.I.P. Ellen".

She wrote: "Seriously saddened by the loss of the lovely Ellen Higginbottom".

Friends of the keen singer and horserider said she had last been near Orrell Water Park. My thoughts are with her family right now. "You will be missed".

It said it was helping affected students "come to terms with something no one should ever have to come to terms with", adding: "Please be kind to each other and take care". Police said they could not rule out a sexual motive for the killing until forensic tests had been carried out.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) searched the area and discovered a body at around 2.30am on Saturday.

DS Howard Millington, from Greater Manchester Police's Major Incident Team, revealed the unnamed teenager had sustained head injuries.

"Whilst we have now made two arrests, our investigation continues as we piece together the puzzle to find out what exactly happened to Ellen on Friday, and give her family the answers they deserve".

Detective Millington has urged the community to keep contacting police with information on the case.



Other news