Minute of silence for London blaze victims

Protesters stand in the lobby of Kensington town hall in west London the headquarters of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea demanding answers over the Grenfell Tower fire in London Friday

TWO west London Tube lines have been partly suspended today by Transport for London after a warning by fire fighters over the safety of Grenfell Tower.

The fire at the 24-story building has led to community anger and protests over the British government's response. Grief over a London high-rise tower fire that killed dozens turned to outrage Friday amid reports that the materials used in a recen. Police say 58 people at the tower are now confirmed or presumed dead.

Aluminum cladding with insulation sandwiched between two panels has been blamed for helping to spread flames in major fires in many parts of the world, including blazes in the Middle East, Europe, Asia and the United States. British media have reported that contractors installed a cheaper, less flame-resistant type of exterior paneling on the 24-story tower in a renovation that was completed just a year ago.

Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said on Monday that five people had been identified.

At least 30 people have been reported dead.

"Whilst I've said I think there may be changes, I don't think those changes will be as significant as the changes we've seen over the last few days", he said.

Families of the victims and residents of Grenfell said they were furious that the local government had for years ignored their complaints about the building's lack of measures in case of fire and had not adequately attended to survivors of the blaze. One opposition lawmaker urged the Conservative government and police to immediately seize all documents related to the tower renovation.

The chancellor said a criminal investigation would examine whether building regulations had been breached when the block was overhauled. Composing himself, he said "It's fair to say it is incredibly emotional working in there".

When asked why they couldn't get access to it, she said: "Because no one's telling us where it is". The British government has announced a 5 million-pound ($6.3 million) emergency fund for the victims.

"Four hundred or so people - still a lot of them have not got somewhere decent or safe or secure to stay", he said.

Following the meeting, May issued in a statement in which she acknowledged that "support on the ground for families that needed help or basic information in the initial hours after this appalling disaster was not good enough". Clement's Church, also close by, and that it was an honor to stand alongside the community to pray for the fire victims.

Speaking later outside Scotland Yard, Mr Cundy added: 'I have investigated major crime for most of my service and I have seen some bad things. Providing an update on the situation Monday morning, police said that the death toll may rise further. This relies on dental records, fingerprints and DNA when possible and also features like tattoos or scars.

Meanwhile, Queen Elizabeth II struck a mournful tone in an address to mark her official birthday Saturday, remarking not only on the blaze at the high-rise building but also on the recent terrorist attacks in Manchester and London.

"It is hard to escape a very sombre national mood", she said in a message marking the event.

As to the cause of the fire, police sources indicated that they had been able to spot the exact place where it all started and that it was unlikely that the blaze had been set deliberately.

"What I am hearing from the leading fire safety experts is that it isn't necessarily necessary to retrofit sprinklers to make a building fire safe", he told the BBC. British officials have ordered a review of other buildings that have had similar renovations.

The tragedy has provoked a huge response from nearby communities.

Related:

Comments


Other news