Grenfell Tower families to receive minimum of £5500 from No 10

Theresa May 'welled up' at meeting with Grenfell fire survivors

The money will come from a £5 million pot of emergency government funding to help those caught up in the disaster which was previously announced by Theresa May.

On Sunday Downing Street said residents of the burnt-out tower block would receive £500 in cash followed by a bank payment of £5,000 from Monday.

Theresa May, who has faced criticism for her response to the tragedy in North Kensington, said: "As we continue to respond to the needs of the community, our focus is on ensuring that all of those affected by this unimaginable tragedy get the right support as quickly as possible".

Britain held a moment of silence for the victims on Monday, with emergency service workers bowing their heads in respect.

She admitted the support for residents on the ground in the wake of the disaster was "not good enough".

Scotland on Sunday leads with Prime Minister Theresa May "clinging to power" after being criticised for failing to meet the bereaved and homeless after the London fire.

At Downing Street on Saturday afternoon, the Prime Minister met 16 people, including victims, residents, community leaders and volunteers, following the devastating blaze at the west London tower block.

In a bid to demand answers, one includes a list of names featuring individuals at Kensington and Chelsea Council, such as the chief executive and leader, which includes their salaries and time in post.

Locals who spoke to the Press Association said they had been told they can go back to neighbouring blocks "at their own risk".

The Prime Minister will chair another meeting of the Grenfell Tower Recovery Taskforce at 11am tomorrow.

"With the exception of very few junior officers, the estate managers have been invisible in the aftermath of the tragedy".

Some commentators have likened her response to Grenfell to George W Bush's "Katrina moment", when the former USA president initially surveyed the hurricane-devastated land from Air Force One.

"Angry not simply at the poor response in the days afterwards from the council and the government, but the years of neglect from the council and from successive governments", he added.

"At No 10 yesterday, the Prime Minister assured the group that from now on residents would be consulted on a coordinated relief effort".

"The Government must also take a serious look at the neglect and chronic underfunding of social housing over decades".

Flames engulfed the building in less than an hour early on June 14, trapping many residents.

The sports centre is being used as the main refuge place for those made homeless by the deadly blaze which killed at least 79 people on Wednesday.

Related:

Comments


Other news