A Bomber Was Behind The Deadly Kindergarten Blast, Chinese Police Say

Seven killed after explosion at Chinese kindergarten

A blast that killed eight people and injured dozens outside a kindergarten in eastern China on Thursday was triggered by a home-made bomb whose maker was among the dead, authorities said yesterday.

In his apartment, police say they discovered materials for explosives and the words "death" and "exterminate" scrawled on the walls.

The public security ministry announced in a statement on Friday that the suspect, surnamed Xu, suffered from health problems and rented a room near the kindergarten in Fengxian, in Jiangsu province, where Thursday's blast occurred.

Xu had left school because of a nervous system disorder, whose symptoms can include depression, anxiety, dizziness, vision problems and problems with basic bodily functions, the police said at a news conference.

Xu could have been influenced by the widespread public attention received by similar past attacks on schools, Phillips said.

Two people died on the spot and five more died of their injuries, while 59 people were injured, nine among them being treated for severe injuries, Xinhua reported.

"The police and related departments rushed to the scene as soon as it was reported and conducted rescue and investigation work on the site", police said on Weibo, a Chinese social media platform similar to Twitter.

However, videos purportedly from the scene showed children - possibly relatives of the youngsters or passers-by - among the casualties.

A video posted by the People's Daily showed emergency workers arriving at the scene with gurneys.

A witness identified only by the surname Shi said the force of the blast sent people flying several meters into the air, according to the state-run Global Times.

Online media reports cited a business owner near the kindergarten as saying that around 5:00 pm (0900 GMT) he heard a "bang", and found that there had been an explosion at the kindergarten entrance only 100 metres (330 feet) away.

It is the latest in a string of tragedies to strike school children in China in recent months.

Officials later said the fire was intentionally set by the driver, who was angry at losing overtime wages.

The attack took place at around 4:50pm, as parents were picking up their children from Chuangxin Kindergarten. Last year, a knife-wielding assailant injured seven students outside a primary school in a northern city.

Related:

Comments


Other news