Turkish ties hit rough patch after rough Erdogan visit

Turkish ties hit rough patch after rough Erdogan visit

The protesters "began aggressively provoking Turkish-American citizens who had peacefully assembled to greet the President", the embassy said in a statement released late Wednesday.

The Turkish goons who were responsible for bloodying at least 11 people, including a police officer and two Secret Service agents, during a melee outside of the Washington, D.C., home of Turkey's ambassador to the USA on Tuesday should be prosecuted to the full extent of American law and then booted out of this country.

Authorities in Washington, D.C. are investigating what they called "a brutal attack on peaceful protesters" outside the home of Turkey ambassador Serdar Kilic's home on 16 May 2017.

The clash between the peaceful protesters and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's armed security guards took place after he appeared at the White House for his first face-to-face meeting with President Trump.

Trump has yet to comment personally on the skirmish, but the State Department did issue a statement saying it is "concerned by the violent incidents involving protestors and Turkish security personnel Tuesday evening". They were released under a globally recognized custom under which nations don't arrest members of a visiting president's delegation.

United States officials told Ankara that the YPG would not constitute a threat for Turkey and that arms supplied by Washington would be used in Raqa and in the south, not against Turkey, Cavusoglu said. A man with bullhorn is repeatedly kicked in the face.

And Erdogan, speaking in Istanbul two days after meeting Trump, said he was putting Washington on notice that his forces won't hesitate to attack USA -backed Kurds if they threaten Turkey.

"This is the United States of America", McCain wrote.

A video posted online showed men in dark suits chasing anti-government protesters and punching and kicking them as police intervened.

Turkish supporters, however, claimed they were provoked by members of the Turkish Kurdish party YPG, which Erdogan's government considers a terrorist group for its links to the PKK.

Nine people were hospitalised after the clash and two were arrested. Turkey sees them as a PKK extension and existential threat to Turkish sovereignty.

"The Turkish-Americans responded in self-defense", the statement from the Turkish embassy said, adding "We hope that, in the future, appropriate measures will be taken to ensure that similar provocative actions causing harm and violence do not occur". "We are telling you this now in advance", Erdogan said.

"In the same way, we should never allow those groups who want to change the ethnic or religious structures in the region to use terrorism as a pretext".

"We respect those concerns, and continue regular consultations with our North Atlantic Treaty Organisation ally on this and other topics of mutual importance", Nauert said.



Other news