Mom of boy who killed himself vows he 'will be heard'

Stunning Condo Inside Former Chicago Church Listed for $1.5M

The mother of an 8-year-old OH boy who killed himself after he was allegedly bullied at school has pledged to speak out on her son's behalf.

A Cincinnati police homicide detective investigating Gabriel's death looked at the video almost a week later and wrote a February 3 report to Cincinnati Public Schools officials recounting the assault.

The Cinicinatti School has since released a 24-minute long video from surveillance footage which shows Gabriel trying to shake hands with another child before collapsing on the ground after being pushed into a wall at the entrance of the boys' bathroom.

Around the 13-minute mark, Gabriel Taye, 8, can be seen entering a boys bathroom at the school January 24.

Gabriel's mother's attorney and officials representing the school district are now disputing exactly what Gabriel's mother, Cornelia Reynolds, was told the day that Gabriel was found unconscious. Other students stepped over the boy while others poked him with their feet as he lay unconscious for 7 minutes before an assistant principal and then a school nurse came to his aid, Leader said.

"If the school had told mom that 'your son was assaulted, ' 'your son had lost consciousness for seven minutes, ' she would have immediately taken him to the hospital and had him examined", Branch told the station.

"There's enough information here that we would like to reopen the case to look at whether we need to amend the death certificate", Coroner Lakshmi Sammarco told WLW Radio on Thursday, according to WCPO.

As Gabriel was shaking hands with a student, the boy yanks him to the ground and appears to "celebrate and rejoice in his behavior", according to the officer's email description of a video reported by the Cincinnati Enquirer and obtained independently by The Washington Post.

Cincinnati Public Schools have released video footage from school surveillance cameras showing a bullying incident that an 8-year-old boy's family believes prompted his suicide. The boy in the red and gray coat hits another boy in the stomach, "sending him to the floor in all fours".

Apparently, the coroner handling the case of the Taye hanging concurs with the detective about the potential of criminal assault occurring in the days leading up to the 8-year-old's death, as she opted to reopen the case despite previously ruling it a suicide. Leader said the boy came home from school on January 26, spoke with his mother and went into his bedroom. "It is our firm position that the allegations portrayed in the media are not supported by the video".

The school allegedly did not mention the alleged assault to Gabriel's mum, only telling her that he had fainted. She said she has seen a lot of bullying at the school and doesn't think it will get any better. Reynolds picked up Gabriel from school that day after administrators called to say he had fainted but was now alert.

"Maybe this had been going on for years, and she had no idea, so she couldn't help him", Branch told Fox 19 News.

Cornelia Reynolds, Gabriel's mother, declined an interview Friday and referred questions to her attorneys.

For months after his suicide, Gabriel's mother had no knowledge of the trouble in the school bathroom. Once at the hospital a doctor diagnosed Gabriel with a stomach virus and sent him home with his mother, reports the Chicago Tribune.

Clearly things had gotten too much for the little boy to deal with, as just two days after the incident, he was found dead in his bedroom. As all are aware, no charges resulted from that investigation.

Jennifer Branch, a lawyer representing Gabriel's mother, said: 'She's devastated that her son's second to last day was so painful for him'.

He had no signs of any medical or mental health issues, and was an "adorable" and "happy-go-lucky" child.

"Gabriel was a shining light to everyone who knew and loved him", his mother said in her statement. The statement also said the nurse contacted Gabriel's mother and asked her to pick him up and take him to the hospital, a claim denied by the family, Branch said.



Other news