Father of suspected Manchester bomber says son is innocent

Manchester Bombing: Man Arrested in Connection With Attack at Ariana Grande Concert

Explosives were found at one site, the Independent reported, citing security service sources.

McCaul also said the evidence so far suggested that "we're not dealing with a lone wolf situation".

The investigation into the deadly bombing continues to center around a network of terrorists, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins from Manchester Police force confirmed. "There's extensive investigations going on and activity taking place across Greater Manchester as we speak".

The man who detonated a fatal bomb in the Manchester Arena on Monday night has been formally identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, British police said Tuesday.

TRIPOLI The father and the younger brother of the suicide bomber who killed 22 people at a concert venue in Manchester have been arrested in Tripoli, a spokesman for a local counter-terrorism force said on Wednesday.

Late Wednesday, Libyan officials said counter-terrorism officials arrested the bomber's father as well as the younger brother, Hashem Abedi, the Associated Press reports.

In an interview with the AP before his arrest, Ramadan Abedi said his 23-year-old son, Ismail, had been arrested Tuesday, as well.

A Libyan neighbor says the elder Abedi returned again to Libya in 2011 after Gadhafi's government fell.

They said one thread of the inquiry involved pursuing whether Abedi was part of a larger terror cell that included Mohamed Abrini, otherwise known as "the man in the hat", with connections to the Brussels and Paris attacks.

British officials expressed anger at American security officials over the leak to US news media of Abedi's name hours after the attack, when they already realized he might have accomplices they needed to locate as fast as possible to prevent more lives being lost in a followup attack, one senior western official told ABC News.

Rudd also scolded USA officials for leaking details about the investigation into the Manchester attack before British authorities were ready to go public.

But, hours after the warning, the New York Times published the detailed photographs.

But British authorities said they have yet to determine if the claim is valid and what, if any, assistance the Manchester college student received in constructing the bomb, picking his target and executing the attack.

According to the Guardian, Prime Minister Theresa May will confront US President Donald Trump over the stream of leaks of crucial intelligence when the pair meet Thursday at the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation summit meeting in Brussels. Raised in the Manchester area, Salman is one of six children. Among the victims identified was an 8-year-old girl, an 18-year-old college student, a Polish couple who were picking up their daughter from the concert and others.

But with just over two weeks to go until a national election, Prime Minister Theresa May's Conservatives and political parties said they would resume campaigning in the coming days.

The photos are purported to be from the preliminary investigation into Monday's attack, which killed 22 people and left around 60 others in hospital. An initial deployment of 984 had been ordered, first in London and then elsewhere.

"I turned on the TV and saw BBC World, I followed the news, they said it was only a suspicion and I was waiting for more news until the morning, but they didn't broadcast anything more". The changing of the guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace was cancelled so police officers could be re-deployed. Callimachi's sources told her he went to Turkey.

Related:

Comments


Other news