3 more arrests in Manchester; London tourist sites protected

At least 22 killed in suicide attack at Ariana Grande concert in Britain

Three days after he returned, Salman Abedi went to an Ariana Grande concert where authorities said he detonated a bomb that killed 22 fans - many of them children and young people - who were leaving the Manchester Arena.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd, who said Abedi had been known to British security officials, complained Wednesday about USA officials leaking sensitive information about Abedi to the media, saying that could hinder Britain's security services and police.

Hashem had been "under surveillance for a month and a half" and "investigation teams supplied intelligence that he was planning a terrorist attack in the capital Tripoli", the Deterrence Force said on its Facebook page.

The father has not been charged and was only detained for questioning, Special Deterrent force spokesman Ahmed bin Salem said.

British investigators told French officials that Abedi had probably traveled to Syria and had "proven links" to ISIS, according to French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb.

The suspected bomber has been identified as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, born in Manchester to Libyan parents who fled the regime of slain dictator Moammar Gaddafi. She also said the bomber was known "up to a point" by the intelligence services.

The Changing of the Guard ceremony at Buckingham Palace, a draw for tourists, was canceled because it requires support from police officers, which authorities decided was not a good use of police resources given the threat level.

Abedi was already known to authorities, UK Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Wednesday.

Although UK journalists had Abedi's name, the UK government and Greater Manchester police declined to confirm it more than two hours after it appeared in the United States press.

In addition to those killed in the concert attack, Manchester officials raised to 119 the number of people who sought medical treatment after the attack, including those who travelled to hospitals on their own.

Mrs May announced late on Tuesday that the UK's terror threat level was being raised to the highest category for the first time for almost a decade.

"We are furious. This is completely unacceptable", the unnamed government official told The Guardian.

The Manchester explosion was one the deadliest since the 2005 London subway bombings that claimed the lives of 56 people.

"It's very clear that this is a network that we are investigating", Manchester police chief Ian Hopkins told reporters, with five people now under arrest.

Rudd complained about U.S. officials leaking sensitive information about Abedi to the press, saying that could take "the element of surprise" away from Britain's security services and police.

"It is a possibility that we can not ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack".

British police said on Tuesday they believed British-born Abedi, 22, carried out the suicide bombing.

Abedi also said he was certain his son had not been in Syria.

Security officials are thought to believe Abedi was not acting alone during Monday night's attack.

The portrait drawn of the mass killer who packed his improvised explosive device with nails, nuts and bolts to maximize the slaughter, is a mixed one. He said his son last visited Libya about six weeks ago and had never gone to Syria. Earlier, officials had said 59 people were wounded. "The reason we have gone to critical is because he is still out there and the fear is that he will strike again before they get caught", a police source told the MEN.

France, which has repeatedly been hit by devastating militant attacks since 2015, extended emergency powers after the Manchester bombing.

Related:

Comments


Other news