Six Nations 2017: France late concussion switch under investigation after thrilling win

Rhys Webb feels Wales will need to improve to cope with the test of France in Paris on Saturday

The Six Nations authorities have launched an investigation into the furore surrounding France's dramatic victory over Wales after Les Bleus were accused of contravening the spirit of rugby.

The seemingly unending drama included an alleged bite of Wales wing George North, a yellow card to prop Samson Lee, and persistent penalties against Wales, but their coach Rob Howley was mostly incensed with France's late substitutions, and openly questioned whether the French bent the rules.

Wales players were outspoken about both issues, with centre Jonathan Davies saying: 'If the prop (Atonio) is complaining about a head injury, player welfare is important.

"The evidence was inconclusive in terms of the images that were shown to the referees, and ultimately they've made a decision on that and it is absolutely fine".

There's no conclusive evidence of a bite so play will restart with yet another scrum from the France penalty.

As it is stands, they will face one of New Zealand, England, Australia and Ireland with the possibility of Argentina adding their weight to a group of death.

Lopez converted, and with the Wales pack creaking at the set piece, No 8 Louis Picamoles and Gourdon ensured the pressure was all on the visitors, George North producing a try-saving tackle as Fijian-born winger Virimi Vakatawa was sent clear.

And Howley did not hold back in his assessment of the incident.

As you can imagine, it was far from ideal given the French pack has proven one of the strongest in world rugby this year, and yet they chose to make a highly controversial decision that led the Wales coach, Rob Howley, to "question the integrity of our game". It is hugely disappointing.

Uini Atonio, the French replacement tighthead prop, replaced Rabah Slimani in the 55th minute but come the end of the regulation 80 was breathing very heavily and looked to be struggling with the workload in the scrum, though the giant 24-stone La Rochelle forward was still enjoying the advantage in the scrum.

"The referee (Englishman Wayne Barnes) is told an HIA needs to take place, and he trusts that information". "What happened in the last 10 minutes shouldn't happen again on an global rugby field". "We'll look through the whole footage".

"That wasn't Wayne's fault, he listened to a medic", Howley said. It is pretty obvious what happened.

Flanker Justin Tipuric added: 'George came into the dressing room and you could see a big bite mark on his arm'.

Asked whose integrity he was questioning, Howley replied: "I think the integrity of the French management team". That's outside the laws of the game.

"The evidence suggests that it's not in the integrity of our game".

Asked to confirm that Wales had seen an official leave the technical area, brief the doctor and then the doctor run on to the field without going on to treat anybody, Howley said: "Yes".



Other news