New challenge to second Trump immigration order

Demonstrators protest the travel ban at the White House | Zach Gibson  Getty Images

Trump's second ban, signed March 6, temporarily bars citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Syria for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days.

Trump revised his order to overcome some of the legal hurdles by including exemptions for legal permanent residents and existing visa holders and taking Iraq off the list of countries covered.

While the new order contains changes, the basic legal problems remain, said Washington's attorney general, Bob Ferguson.

President Trump's team hit a legal wall last month when it first tried implementing a ban to halt immigration from a number of Muslim-majority countries around the world.

The state of Washington filed a request to this effect with the same Seattle judge who on February 3 issued a stay against Trump´s first executive order on immigration. "However, he gave the Justice Department until Tuesday evening to respond, leaving open the question of when and whether a hearing will be held". The Wisconsin judge barred enforcement of the new travel ban with respect to the wife and child. It went into effect immediately, with little direction to airport workers and border control officials about how it should be implemented, and about whether it applied to permanent legal residents (green card holders) living in the United States, dual nationals or people from those countries whose visas had already been approved. Pacific time (7:30 p.m. EST) in a lawsuit filed by the state of Washington against the president's revised order, which will suspend the US refugee program and temporarily bar the issuance of new visas to citizens of six-Muslim majority countries. But in January, after Trump's first order, she introduced two bills in Congress that she said were meant to prevent Trump from blocking entire categories of immigrants unilaterally.

In recent days the president and his leading cabinet members - Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Attorney General Jeff Sessions and John Kelly, the homeland security secretary - have defended the new order as a vital tool to preserve U.S. national security and keep out extremists.

Robart said there would be no hearing before Wednesday and asked the Justice Department for a response to Ferguson´s motion.

U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson is presiding over the Aloha State's case.

When Robart froze Trump's original executive order, the president criticized him on Twitter, declaring him a "so-called judge" and deeming his ruling "ridiculous".

"The Trump administration's continued intent to discriminate against Muslims is clear - and it undermines New York's families, institutions, and economy".

Today: Ferguson files amended complaint asking Robart to extend the restraining order to stop the new travel ban.

California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York and OR have all joined the case.

Hawaii has asked for a temporary restraining order blocking the enforcement of the president's revised travel ban.

In a letter on Saturday, the 134 experts said the revised order would "jeopardize our relationships with allies and partners on whom we rely for vital counter-terrorism cooperation and information-sharing". If Trump's ban remains in effect, little more than 12,000 more will be allowed in this year.

While Washington was far from the only state to file a lawsuit against Trump's order, it's the only challenge that led to a nationwide halt on the executive order. The state sued last week, arguing that the ban harms its tourism industry, foreign students studying at Hawaiian universities, and its Muslim population.

Related:

Comments


Other news