Guilty plea expected involving San Bernardino terror attack

Officials investigate the scene around the Ford SUV where suspects of the shooting were killed in San Bernardino California

A California woman whose boyfriend was among those killed in the terror attack in San Bernardino says a plea agreement for a man accused of buying the high-powered rifles used in the shooting brings mixed emotions.

Marquez will formally acknowledge his crimes during a hearing at 9 a.m. before U.S. District Judge Jesus Bernal at the federal courthouse in downtown Riverside. While Marquez was questioned, one sobbed. Marquez then checked himself into a mental health facility.

Members of his family were on hand, along with a number of law enforcement officials and a large media contingent, requiring a second courtroom to be used for overflow and observation via large-screen TV monitors.

Marquez is scheduled to face sentencing on August 21. Marquez is being held without bail at the federal detention center in San Bernardino. "While his earlier plans to attack a school and a freeway were not executed, the planning clearly laid the foundation for the 2015 attack on the Inland Regional Center".

RIVERSIDE, Calif. - A California man who bought high-powered rifles used in the San Bernardino terror attack pleaded guilty on Thursday as the father of one of the victims angrily denounced the plea deal as a "slap on the wrist".

MORE: Witnesses recall frightening end to San Bernardino terror attacksFarook began educating his new friend about his Muslim faith and Marquez converted in 2007.

25, was convicted on charges he conspired with Syed Rizwan Farook in 2001 and 2012 to provide material support to terrorists for planned attacks on a community college and a freeway that were never carried out.

Marquez and Farook met in 2005 after Marquez moved next door to Farook's family in Riverside, about 55 miles east of Los Angeles.

Clayborn said he believes Marquez knew about the December 2015 attack ahead of time.

The plea agreement for 25-year-old Enrique Marquez Jr. was accepted Thursday by a federal judge in California.

Prosecutors say Marquez and Farook, who were childhood friends, plotted attacks together in 2011 and 2012 that were never carried out.

Farook's brother Syed Raheel and his sister-in-law Tatiana Farook, both pleaded guilty last week to conspiracy to commit immigration fraud. Farook and his wife are each facing five years behind bars; Chernykh is facing up to 20 years.

All three are free on bond.

Related:

Comments


Other news