Militants refusing to leave Aleppo to be eliminated

A tank rumbles through Aleppo's Ithaa district after Syrian pro-government forces retook the area from rebel fighters

While rebels say they could fend off the offensive for some time to come, the fighting is complicated by tens of thousands of fearful civilians trapped in the rebel-held area, many of them related to the fighters, the official said. Some 200,000 civilians, including many children, in eastern Aleppo are cut off from food and medicine supplies.

Meanwhile, rebel leaders acknowledged that they were discussing evacuation with the United States but said they had yet to be presented with a comprehensive proposal.

In regime-held western Aleppo, rebel rockets have also claimed civilian lives.

The Syrian government says it rejects any cease-fire for embattled Aleppo unless it includes the departure of all rebels from the eastern part of the city.

"We condemn the actions of the Syrian regime and its foreign backers, especially Russian Federation, for their obstruction of humanitarian aid", the leaders said, adding that hospitals and schools appeared to have been targeted "in an attempt to wear people down".

A UN Security Council meeting was soon organised after de Mistura's comments where the envoy said that the government forces could capture the remaining regions of the rebel-held Aleppo by the end of this year and said that the rebels should be allowed to leave the region peacefully.

The fall of the Shaar neighborhood would leave Syrian regime forces in control of 70 percent of eastern Aleppo. Fighters and civilians from rebel-held areas around Syria have often previously been transferred to rebel-held Idlib under settlement agreements reached with the Syrian army. "It must have been terrifying for them", she said. It added that no injuries were report. "It is Syria and Russian Federation".

The government is supported by Lebanon's militant group Hezbollah, Iraqi and Iranian militias, and Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards.

Kerry arrived in Paris yesterday ahead of parallel talks today aimed at pushing for a ceasefire in Aleppo, where retreating rebels backed by the United States face an onslaught from Syrian forces supported by Russian Federation.

Syrian government and allied forces have in the last two weeks driven rebels from most of their territory in what was once Syria's most populous city.

The offensive was preceded by an intensive bombing campaign that knocked out medical facilities and left the civilian population reeling.

The exodus came a day after Russian Federation announced that the Syrian army was suspending combat operations to allow for the evacuation of civilians from besieged rebel-held districts, but residents and medics inside eastern Aleppo said there was no letup in the bombardment.

In the last week government forces steadily gained ground until on Wednesday - after a highly symbolic retreat from the Old City - the rebels called for the ceasefire to allow thousands of civilians to evacuate.

Aleppo was once Syria's largest city and its commercial and industrial hub before the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began in 2011.

Government forces and allied militiamen say they control almost 90 percent of what was once rebel-held territory - a figure the opposition disputes.

"From the very first days of the terrorist war imposed on my country, Syria, the United States, France and Britain indeed deserve the name of the three musketeers defending terrorism", Ja'afari said, going on to accuse them of crimes in Libya and Yemen as well. He said now there was no talk of rebels leaving the city. Cornered in a shrinking enclave in Aleppo's southeast, the rebels have asked for a five-day ceasefire. It also calls for negotiations over the future of the city of Aleppo once the humanitarian crisis eases.

Related:

Comments


Other news