Tsunami Warning Follows Earthquake Off Japan's Coast

The US Geological Survey initially put Tuesday's quake at a magnitude of 7.3 but down graded it to 6.9.

Residents at US military bases surrounding Tokyo also felt the shaking, but no damage or injuries had been reported by military officials Tuesday afternoon.

The Japanese public broadcaster urged the public to evacuate, reminding people to dress warmly and help others flee.

Japan's Fukushima region lifted a tsunami warning early this morning, a few hours after a 6.9 magnitude quake rocked the area devastated five years ago.

It hit with such severity, sparking tsunami feats and devastation along the Japanese coast. It warned people along the coast to move to higher ground. The largest so far, a 1.4-meter tsunami, was observed in Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, at 8:03 a.m. according to JMA. After the warning has been lifted, residents remain alert as the Japan Meteorological Agency said another big one could hit in the next few days and advised everyone to "remain cautious" as the days progressed.

The tremendous 9.0 magnitude quake that hit the area in 2011 was overshadowed only by the destructive waves that followed.

So far there have been no reports of significant damage from the quake or tsunami, said Suga, adding that the government will continue to ascertain damage and work closely with the Self-Defense Forces for disaster relief. The quake could actually be an aftershock of the 2011 incident that killed 18,000 people according to the Japan Meteorological Agency.

The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning for waves of up to 3 meters (10 feet) in Fukushima, which is home to the nuclear power plant that was destroyed by a huge tsunami following an offshore natural disaster in 2011.

The earlier warning was for waves of up to 3 meters (10 feet).

Primary and middle schools were closed Tuesday in northeastern prefectures of Fukushima, Miyagi and Aomori.

"We saw high waves but nothing that went over the tidal barriers", a man in the city of Iwaki told NTV television network. As Japan braces for yet another tsunami, concern is growing regarding the potentially devastating effects that another tsunami could have on the cooling system's of the plant's three remaining, intact reactors.

At the nearby Fukushima Dai-ni plant, TEPCO said a pump that supplies cooling water to a spent fuel pool stopped working, but a backup pump was employed after about 90 minutes, and the temperature rose less than one degree.

As worries over Tuesday's quake abated with tsunami warnings lifted and no major damages reported, Tokyo shares closed higher Tuesday, with the Nikkei index ending at a roughly 10-and-a-half-month high. A spokesman said there were no injuries or damage at the plant, which was badly damaged in the 2011 disaster.



Other news