State Department: 'No wrongdoing' in 'interagency conversation' about classification

"So there was no wrongdoing here".

The FBI released 100 pages of interview summaries on Monday, the fourth release of documents from its investigation.

"Although there was never a quid pro quo, these allegations were nonetheless referred to the appropriate officials for review", the statement said.

"Having been previously unsuccessful in attempts to speak with the senior State official, during the same conversation, the Federal Bureau of Investigation official asked the State Department official if they would address a pending, unaddressed Federal Bureau of Investigation request for space for additional Federal Bureau of Investigation employees assigned overseas", the Federal Bureau of Investigation said. He dismissed the matter as an interagency exchange over how to classify information, a process that he said "was more art than science".

Though FBI director James Comey refused to proceed with prosecuting Clinton over her alleged misuse of classified information through her private email server, he did admit she left her account vulnerable to hackers.

That records management official concluded State had an "agenda" related to "minimizing" the classification issues with Clinton's emails. In promising extraordinary transparency in the Clinton email investigation, FBI Director James Comey authorized the release of interview summaries and agents' notes that are nearly never seen by the public — particularly in cases that close without charges. Intelligence and law enforcement officials still disagree on numerous determinations, and Clinton herself has yet to acknowledge that any of the emails found on her server contained classified information.

State said the email was released, with redactions, in May 2015 as part of its Freedom of Information Act disclosure.

The email in question described reports in November 2012 that Libyan police were arresting suspects in the attack on US facilities in Benghazi, Libya.

State Department spokesperson John Kirby emphasized on Twitter that the report was incorrect. Trump has denied all of them, claiming that their stories are part of a media conspiracy orchestrated by the Clinton campaign to blunt the potential impact of her own scandals. There was no quid pro quo even suggested or any kind of bargain laid on the table.

The FBI ultimately rejected the idea, which would have allowed the State Department to archive a message related to the 2012 attacks on the USA diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, in the basement of its Washington headquarters "never to be seen again", according to the FBI files. "Given the sensitive nature of the participants involved, including former Secretary of State and Presidential candidate Clinton, a separate high ranking official at the State Department, and a high ranking FBI official in charge of America's counter-terrorism efforts, it is imperative that this matter be investigated and that the investigation be done in an apolitical way with agents who were not involved in the initial Clinton Investigation".

The FBI apparently did not reclassify the email.

There was "no quid pro quo", State Department spokesman Mark Toner said on Monday when asked about the document during his daily session with reporters.

McCauley said, though, he had no authority to actually change classification. There can be applicable FOIA exemptions that are based on both classified and unclassified rules. "No increase in FBI Iraq slots resulted from this conversation", he said. "Under Secretary Kennedy needs to resign". Clinton campaign allies argued Tuesday that the documents simply show bureaucratic haggling.

Republicans are seizing on these latest emails to show Sec. But the revelation has given fuel to Trump's fiery claims of a "rigged" election.

But just the appearance of the words "quid pro quo" was enough for both Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan to respond.

Related:

Comments


Other news