Refugees stranded in Calais after camp closure spark fears of 'another Jungle'

View of the makeshift migrant camp known as

As part of the camp's clearance, 3182 adults have been transferred to centres around France since Monday and 772 unaccompanied minors have been moved to a container park in the Jungle serving as a temporary shelter, the Interior Ministry said.

Sign up to our daily newsletter for up to date global news and features.

Afghan migrant Abdul Wali said he cried Thursday morning when he boarded a bus for Strasbourg in eastern France, leaving the Calais camp for what should be the last time.

"We had a group of Eritrean boys, 13 and 14 years old, last night, who slept outside", said Dorothy Sang, a worker with the Save the Children charity.

The fate of several dozen children remained of concern late Thursday as the container camp for unaccompanied minors stayed filled to beyond its 1,500 capacity.

"We were begging the French authorities to actually do something about the refugee children and nothing was done", Caroline Gregory of Calais Action told the BBC.

But charities claimed many young refugees were left without safe haven after a fire ravaged the makeshift site, cutting short the registration process for camp dwellers.

French authorities reported that 1,200 unaccompanied children had been registered before the process ended, in addition to 235 who had been transferred to the United Kingdom.

When fire engulfed the camp, rendering it too risky to return to, dozens of children were left without shelter "out in the freezing cold".

This group is made of many migrants who have either had their asylum applications rejected or registered in another European Union country and therefor face deportation.

"Thousands and thousands of people have gone to reception centres, which we're very happy about".

Help Refugees also reported children were being detained.

There have also been suggestions that the children might be put on buses and taken to different parts of France, but questions were raised over whether there would be space for them in the reception centres across the country, as they were never created to accommodate children.

"We don't know the places and we don't speak French", he said in almost flawless English.

A migrant, who said he was aged 16, in the Jungle on Thursday. RT's crew on the ground reports that dozens of people remain at the camp.

"The government thinks the programme (of distributing migrants to shelters around France) is attracting people from other places like Belgium and Germany", said Coury, the MSF coordinator.

Speaking during a visit to a corner of the "Jungle" where hundreds of migrants had gathered, Mr Mignonet added: "When we took the figures (of those who had left the camp and registered) yesterday it was not matching (with the jungle population)".

The senior Labour MP Yvette Cooper said the French authorities had failed disastrously to tackle the "dangerous and shocking" conditions.

Many locals fear new settlements will simply spring up in the area once the Jungle is razed.

"They claim benefits and housing, and all we get is the British-funded wall and fences".

The Children's Rights Alliance (CRA) said only one unaccompanied minor has been relocated in Ireland so far - despite a government promise to take in more than 4,000 refugees, while prioritising children and teenagers.

Related:

Comments


Other news