Erdogan tells Obama that Ankara targeting Raqqa

Prior to Wednesday's attack, the deadliest assault on a school was reported in April 2014 when 30 children were killed in airstrikes that hit a school in the rebel-held part of Aleppo city, according to UNICEF.

"This latest atrocity may be the deadliest attack on a school since the war began more than five years ago".

The West has accused Moscow of bombing the country's civilian infrastructure to bolster long-time ally President Bashar al-Assad. Erdogan added that he urged that the operation take place without involvement of Syrian Kurdish forces.

Russian Federation has denied carrying out air strikes on a school in Syria's rebel-held Idlib province that killed 36 people, including 22 children. He added if it is determined that the airstrikes were deliberate, "it is a war crime".

Russia's defence ministry also denied any involvement.

"The Russian Federation has nothing to do with this bad tragedy, with this attack", foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said, adding that Moscow demanded an immediate investigation.

A ceasefire meant to allow evacuations of the besieged rebel-held east of Aleppo ended at the weekend, with Moscow ruling out an extension of the unilateral measure for the time being.

President Vladimir Putin is defending Russia's support for the Syrian army's siege of the rebel-held eastern districts of the city of Aleppo, saying it's necessary to crush the militants there.

Putin shrugged off the calls to end the onslaught on Aleppo, arguing that the USA -backed, Iraqi-led siege of Mosul should also be halted then, and the prospective attack on Raqqa by the US -led coalition should not be launched at all.

This frame grab from video provided by Muaz al-Shami, Syrian Revolution Network, an opposition activist media organization, that is consistent with independent AP reporting, shows two bodies lying down in the open back of a pick-up truck after airstrikes killed over 20 people, in the northern rebel-held village of Hass, Syria, Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016.

The rocket fire hit two west Aleppo neighbourhoods, with one of the attacks striking a school, said the official SANA news agency.

Juliette Touma, regional UNICEF chief of communication, said Wednesday's attack was the deadliest attack on a school in 2016, bring the overall death toll of children killed in such attacks in 2016 to 54.

On a stretcher nearby, a wounded man lay with his artificial leg detached and lying on top of him, smeared with his blood. Estimates of civilian deaths since the conflict began in March 2011 range from 300,000 to 470,000.

The EU said in a statement on Thursday that the new individuals were listed "for being responsible for the violent repression against the civilian population in Syria" or benefiting from links to the Syrian regime.

"The persons. include high-ranking military officials and senior figures linked to the regime", it said.

European Union leaders agreed last week to increase sanctions against Assad's regime, citing devastating attacks on Aleppo, Syria's second city and pre-war commercial hub.

However, he said the Syrian government has denied humanitarian access to eastern Aleppo as part of a monthly United Nations plan to reach 25 besieged and remote areas in Syria.

The names of the 10 officials targeted Thursday are to be released at a later date.

Related:

Comments


Other news