Syrian troops return to Aleppo supply road amid claims of rebel attacks

The UN said 20 trucks loaded with aid had crossed into a buffer zone between Turkey and Syria, voicing hope the supplies could be delivered to besieged rebel-held districts of Aleppo city today.

The U.S. will not share the full text of a recent deal with Russian Federation on a truce in Syria, the State Department said Thursday.

Under the truce deal, fighting is to stop across the country except where ISIL and Jabhat Fatah al-Sham are present. Please click the button below to manage your account.

You are reading news and information on, Long Island's Most Popular Website, Since 1996. You have now viewed your allowance of free articles.

The Lebanon-based Al-Mayadeen TV also reported the same development, airing live footage on Friday afternoon from Aleppo, showing a bulldozer removing sand barriers from the Castello Road on the northwestern edge of Syria's largest city and once commercial center.

"The regime is withdraw but will not move unless the opposition begins to withdraw", Abdulrahman said.

Syrian opposition activists say an airstrike on the eastern Syrian town of Mayadeen, which is held by the Islamic State group, has killed at least four people and wounded dozens.

The Russian military says the Syrian army withdrew its armor, artillery and other weapons north of the Castello Road early on Thursday, in line with the U.S. -Russia-brokered truce.

Head of the Russian Reconciliation Centre, Lt Gen Vladimir Savchenko, said opposition units have used the ceasefire to "restore their capability and regroup their forces in the provinces of Aleppo, Hama and Homs".

"Secretary Kerry expressed concerns about the repeated and unacceptable delays of humanitarian aid and emphasized that the United States expects Russian Federation to use its influence on the Assad regime to allow U.N. humanitarian convoys to reach Aleppo and other areas in need", Kirby said.

The current ceasefire was called so that desperately needed humanitarian aid could be delivered.

In December, Damascus accused USA coalition warplanes of striking an army camp near Deir al-Zor but Washington said it was done by Russian jets. Several previous negotiated cease-fires have unraveled and efforts to hold the peace talks have stalled.

The United States and Russian Federation have called for a meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the fragile ceasefire in Syria.

The closed-door consultations were scrapped after Moscow and Washington failed to agree over disclosing details of the ceasefire to the council.

The closed-door consultations had been called after Russia's envoy to the United Nations said Moscow wanted a United Nations resolution to endorse the deal.

A U.S. military official said he was "pretty sure" targets mistakenly hit in the bombings were Syrian forces.

The Syrian military said the airstrikes enabled an IS advance on a hill overlooking the air base.

But as well as a reduction in violence the USA also demanded that supplies be allowed to reach areas under siege across the country and especially in Aleppo, Syria's second-largest city.

The Syrian government, meanwhile, accused insurgents of firing a rocket that hit a church in the government-held side of Aleppo, causing material damage but no casualties.

The fighting and shelling in neighborhoods on the edges of Damascus were the heaviest in weeks, according to activists and residents, sparking concern the fragile cease-fire may be starting to fray.

"The secretary made clear that the United States will not establish the Joint Implementation Center with Russian Federation unless and until the agreed terms for humanitarian access are met", spokesman John Kirby said in a written statement.

Over 2,000 people were killed in 40 days of fighting in Aleppo until the cease-fire went into effect Monday.

It said government forces will not start pulling out until the rebels begin to do the same.

"This is one of the most serious violations of the cease-fire", al-Shami told the Associated Press news agency via Skype.

Activists reported the cease-fire was holding despite some violations, though the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group warned the rate of violations had escalated and three civilians were killed, including two children.

But on Friday morning, the trucks were still waiting at the border with Turkey, said David Swanson, a spokesman for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.



Other news