Investigators scour NY blast scene

Investigators scour NY blast scene

The explosion appears to have taken place in a dumpster. "ALL OVER THE INTERNET" Investigators at the FBI's lab in Quantico, Virginia, were set to look to see if the three devices in the NY area had a common design, although a USA official familiar with the inquiry said that would not be proof in itself the attacks were linked. According to the Times, Cuomo said the two devices from Saturday night appeared to be similar.

The Saturday night attack left 29 people injured in New York City's Chelsea neighborhood.

The reports of a possible blast come hours after a pipe bomb exploded in Seaside Park, New Jersey, shortly before thousands of runners participated in a charity 5K race to benefit Marines and sailors. NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce explains that officials are continuing to fit all of the pieces together.

Earlier in the day, another official said that the Federal Bureau of Investigation was aware of the posting and evaluating its authenticity.

"People didn't know what was going on, and that's what was scary", said Anthony Zayas, an actor who was in the Chelsea neighborhood Saturday night when the bomb went off.

Authorities have not yet taken anyone into custody for being involved with the blast.

While Cuomo acknowledged the Saturday night attack was an act of terror, he has maintained that there is no evidence of a link to worldwide terrorism thus far.

New Yorkers were encouraged to remain vigilant Sunday, and call police with any information they may have about either device.

Police have not said what, if any, forensic evidence they've collected from that device. Both presidential candidates spoke out about the attacks, with Democrat Hillary Clinton on Sunday issuing a statement condemning "the apparent terrorist attacks".

"Bottom line on this is. whoever placed these bombs we will find and they will be brought to justice", Cuomo said.

Pipe Bomb in New Jersey 9:30 a.m.

.

In a statement Sunday, the Democratic presidential candidate said law enforcement officials in NY and New Jersey need support as they investigate.

The bombing occurred as the city prepared to welcome leaders from around the globe, at the opening of the United Nations general assembly on Monday.

U.N. Spokesman Stephane Dujarric said Sunday that security inside the complex "is being assessed on a constant basis". "We have more work to do to be able to say what kind of motivation was behind this". ISIS has claimed responsibility for the latter event.

Donald Trump appeared to pre-empt New York City officials when he declared Saturday evening that a "bomb went off" in New York City before officials had released details. All of them have been released from the hospital. A robot removed the device safely.

It was later sent to an NYPD range in the Bronx aboard a special containment vessel, the New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's office said.

The official says in the NY incident, the device that exploded had residue from an explosive called Tannerite. Investigators looked into it and didn't consider it relevant to the case, said the official who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

Tannerite is often used in target shooting to mark a shot with a cloud of smoke and small explosion.

"A bomb exploding in NY is obviously an act of terrorism", Cuomo said Sunday morning.

Once the explosion was reported, the New Jersey Police Department enforced a four-block radius roadblock, to protect citizens.

"We have in this city the most advanced anti-terror capacity of any city in this country and obviously the largest police force of any city in the country all ready to ensure our safety", De Blasio told reporters.

After viewing the extensive destruction, Cuomo said it was "fortunate" no one had been killed.

An investigation has been launched to determine the motive and suspect behind the explosion as well as the second, undetonated device.

Authorities say there was no structural damage from the blast.

Back in NYC at the scene of the Chelsea bomb explosion, the governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, was very clear that bomb explosions won't stop New Yorkers from living their lives freely. The devices contained different materials and didn't appear to be connected, officials said, but added that they weren't ruling anything out yet.

NY police continued to search for clues on Sunday that might lead them to the bomber behind a blast that injured 29 in the city's bustling Chelsea neighbourhood on Saturday night. Most of the injuries were minor. As a precaution, Cuomo said he was deploying an additional 1,000 state troopers and members of the National Guard throughout New York City.

"There is no evidence at this point of a terror connection", de Blasio said. "We're lucky that only 29 were injured", Cuomo said on MSNBC Sunday.

The blast is under investigation.

The second device, found later inside a plastic bag on West 27th Street, appeared to be a pressure cooker with wiring and a cellphone attached to it, the official said.

Related:

Comments


Other news