'Syria rebels prevent civilians from leaving Aleppo'

The civilians boarded buses and were taken to temporary shelters, Sana said.

After months of fighting to encircle its opponents in Aleppo, Syrian authorities backed by Russian Federation on Thursday offered safe corridors out for residents and rebels in the northern city's besieged quarters, underlining the government's determination to seal off the metropolis and force an eventual surrender by the opposition.

"Not only they have not been opened, but they say in several of the areas.in fact there is fighting still going on, and there are regime snipers as well that are shooting nearly constantly".

He said the people of Aleppo would not be intimidated.

Dozens of civilians left the besieged and battered opposition-held east of Syria's Aleppo city on Saturday through a "humanitarian corridor" to the government-held west, state media reported.

"Clearly we are in the midst of a thing that we see all the time in Syria; a propaganda war that is ongoing alongside the actual war", said Jamjoom.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said airstrikes in Kafr Takhareem village in rural Idlib hit a hospital and a center for civil defense volunteers.

"Around 12 people managed to use the Bustan al-Qasr corridor before rebel groups reinforced security measures and prevented families from approaching the corridors", Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman said.

According to the general, 59 people, who were previously held hostage by rebels and terrorists, received qualified medical assistance.

Many Aleppo neighborhoods have come under fire for 80 consecutive days, with more than 6,000 people - mainly civilians - killed or injured. The city has been divided since 2012, with government forces controlling the western half and rebels holding districts in the east.

On Thursday, the Syrian army and the Russian backers said they had identified three safe passages out of rebel-held areas in eastern Aleppo for civilians, and one safe exit for the rebels who would want to surrender themselves.

But the announcement was met with suspicion by global powers, including the U.S., as well as residents in Aleppo.

A picture taken on July 29, 2016 shows a close up view of Karaj al-Hajz corridor (C), a passage in rebel-held Aleppo leading towards the Syrian government controlled area of Masharqa neighbourhood.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, other Aleppo residents called the proposed routes "corridors of death".

"The U.N. and the humanitarian partners. have experience".

The United Nations says food will run out within weeks for the people trapped inside, and has been trying to negotiate regular pauses in the fighting to allow humanitarian access.

He also blamed Russian Federation for destroying the political transition process in Syria, saying: "The efforts of United Nations Special Envoy Staffan de Mistura to achieve political transition are severely hindered by Russia's behavior".

Aleppo-based opposition activist Baraa al-Halaby denied reports that civilians and fighters have left to government-held parts of the city.

"If Assad shows that he is winning Aleppo, and he's now also advancing on the rebels in Damascus, it could trigger a more dramatic shift by finally convincing opposition groups that they have lost the war", said Aron Lund, nonresident associate of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

The main opposition High Negotiations Committee (HNC) says it believes the aim is to cleanse the area so government forces can capture it.

Related:

Comments


Other news